Thursday 1 November 2012

Healthy changes, bring it on. Me and my homemade cereal

I try to eat healthy food and avoid junk food and refined foods as much as possible in my diet,
I did say try!
 Though I would not call myself a health fanatic by any stretch of the imagination but just recently I have been craving changes to my diet; I am craving healthier foods and this is what I have made.
 
I have created from a selection of grains, nuts and fruits, the best breakfast food yet.
A recipe was passed onto me from a friend but I have added to it to make it even yummier.
 
It is a yummy scrumptious amazingly delicious homemade "Rio Granola".
 
 I have never been a big breakfast person ever but this cereal makes you want to leap out of bed early just to eat it, seriously it is the best.
 
 
My homemade recipe is
 
Into a pot mix 4 heaped tablespoons of organic Coconut Oil
2 level tablespoons of honey
and
2 level tablespoons of Maple Syrup.
 
Warm the ingredients until they are runny. Do not boil.
Take off the heat and put aside til you need this mixture in the next step.
 
Into a large mixing bowl put the following ingredients (or a combination of your own).
 
3 cups of Rolled Oats
1 cup of Puffed Brown Rice
1 cip of Buckwheat
1 cup of Puffed Amaranth
1/2 cup of Pumpkin Seeds
3/4 cup of broken Walnuts or Pecans
1/4 cup of Linseed
1/4 cup of Sesame Seeds
1/2 cup of Sultanas
1/2 cup of Coconut Flakes
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Himalayan Sea Salt
 
Mix all ingredients together well and then pour over the melted honey, oil and syrup.
 
 
Once mixed together, put all ingredients into a large (or 2 large) baking tray. I used 2 trays and lined them with baking paper.
 
Bake at 150 C for 30 minutes.
 
When cool, put all ingredients back into your large mixing bowl and add another 1/2 cup of dried fruit ie: apricots, banana's, pineapple, goji berries etc 
 
 
And there you have it, your very own homemade cereal.
 
One that will sustain you longer than any commercial brand you can buy on the supermarket shelves.
 
 But best of all you made it yourself and you don't need as much of it to fill you up .
 
 
One scoop is enough and no need to add sugar.
 
Crocheting and Spinning Update
 
My plaid Afghan knee rug is fast becoming a queen sized bedspread. I think I crochet too big.
 
 
 
I am really looking forward to finishing it. The next step before it is complete is to make all the chains to weave through it. I have designed my own colour scheme so hopefully it looks good as the weaving is what makes all the plaid patterns.
 
My spinning is coming along slowly, slowly and this week I had an hour long lesson with a friend who is a spinner from way back. She hasn't spun for 10 years and to watch her jump back on and spin like an expert was so lovely to see.
 
 
 My desire is to be crocheting my own spun wool soon but somehow I think that may be a fair way off yet.
It's a good thing I have a basket full of wool to keep me going in mean time.
 

1 comment:

  1. Finally trying this recipe Sandra - thanks for sharing :) xxx

    ReplyDelete