Wednesday 7 November 2012

Country Chick and Chickens

 
We are beginning to get into the full swing of things now here at our house out bush. We have been living off the grid now for four years and our house has needed much tender, love and care and because our time has been consumed in that we have not quite got the self sustainability food thing down pat yet.

Fences and gardens are next on the agenda.

We do have plenty of eggs though, as now we have more chickens. Four more chickens; so that is a start; we have ten in total, (Buff Sussex ). We picked up the news girls on the weekend and we also have a dozen and half eggs in at the hatchery.

Two of our hens are clucky but they don't seem to like our breeding box Col made for them; silly hens. We tried a number of different techniques trying to get them to sit on our eggs but to no avail; they would not have it. Anyway I don't care really as it worked in well as a temporary home for our four new hens till they got used to their new environment and we let them free range.

Our rooster is strutting around as proud as punch with his new girls.

So in twenty one days time; all going well we should have baby chicks. I'm a bit excited, I am. Not sure why we need so many chooks, but my husband tells me he knows what he is doing.

Someone once said, "Never trust a man who says", "Trust me" ha ha. Did he say trust me, hmm I am not sure about that one!





We were given a cow each as a wedding gift too, (Murray Grey's) and on the weekend we went up to see them as we can't have them here on our block til our fences are up..................soon, we will have fences and cows and a veggie garden. Soon and I can't wait.

How cool is that though, getting a cow each as wedding present. I love it. My cow will be a happy cow too because I am a non-red meat eater. She will be a very happy cow indeed.

I love cows and we are even thinking of getting a Jersey cow so we can have our own milk, cheese and cream and if we do I will be the milkmaid. Happy with that.

 


Our house sure is a happy house.
 


But wait til we get fences, we are going to be over the moon.
 
If you would like to read more about what I do with my creative self please drop by my other blog at www.graceofautun.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment